Best clothing for a maternity photo shoot
For women: "What should I wear to my photo shoot?" and, "What should I bring to my pregnancy photography session?"
These are just guidelines. If you love prints and plaid, bring them!
What clothing should I bring to my photo shoot?
- Colors - I like solid colors: white, black, brown, gray. (Seeing is believing!)
- Fabrics - look for thin clingy, not necessarily tight, fabrics with a little stretch.
- Pants - jeans (any color), black pants (yoga pants work well). It doesn't matter if you're wearing maternity jeans with a big, stretchy band. I make it all work.
- Dresses - these can be incredibly sophisticated and sexy, but choose carefully. Look for dresses that cling to your shape, not the loose, comfortable style. Dresses with ruching at the side seams work beautifully.
- Tops - I like big, white, button-down, slightly rumpled men's shirt. Any shirt or cardigan that opens down the front works well. See more examples of what to wear for a maternity photography session.
- Sleeves - Long-sleeved shirts tend to be the most flattering, but sleeveless and spaghetti straps also work.
- Necklines - select v-necks, squarenecks, turtlenecks or deep scoop necks.
- Tanks or camisoles - anything clingy, fitted or stretchy in solid colors (white, black, red, blue...)
- Jewelry & watches - in general, avoid them (unless there's a really good story behind the piece). The BIG exception is wedding and engagement rings! Classic, small and tasteful pieces like pearl or diamond studs make sense and are totally appropriate.
- Special & unique - unusual items like large swaths of fabric in powerful colors like purple, red and royal blue can make for stunning results. Consider saris or large and luxurious scarves. Consider fabrics that are exceptionally sheer or have a little bit of sheen.
Next: what NOT to bring ...
- 5 Things to know before hiring a photographer
- How to choose a photographer
- What to wear to a maternity photo shoot
- 10 things NOT to wear to a maternity photo shoot
- What men wear to pregnancy photo shoots
- What to wear to a family photo shoot